Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Xterra South Central Championships

I decided to do an early season championship event this year for two reasons. I wanted an early season race to get me going and also I wanted a championship race to have the opportunity to qualify for world championships earlier in the season. South Central Championships in Waco, TX made sense for my choice race.

Being from Winter Park it has been a long winter and I had only been on my bike about 3 times. So, the week before Waco I decided to do one of the Mountain States Cup bike races just to get into race mode and actually get on my bike! I won my category which helped me feel a little more in race mode.

I arrived in Waco on Friday before the race so I could pre-ride some of the course. I was pretty excited after getting on the course. It was all single-track with tight twisty turns through the forest short steep climbs, perfect. But, I knew I would have to swim hard to get out on this course early since passing would be slightly difficult.

Saturday morning I was feeling good a little nervous but excited. I headed out for a short run and that is when things turned. Things like my ankle! I rolled it out on the trail I was on. I was really upset at this point as I tried to make my way back to the race venue. I made it back and found ice and the medical person for Xterra. He was very friendly and helpful. He told what to do for the evening and said to give it an extra stretch in the morning that was going to hurt like crazy and then said as long as I won it wouldn’t hurt.

Needless to say, I was feeling a little down.

Race morning I arose early went and set-up transition and tried to get my ankle as stretched and loose as possible. Then we began. Swimming was feeling pretty good but it was in the river which was new to me. I found myself way inside everyone on the upstream part which meant that I was in the current. So, although I felt pretty good I think this slowed my swim. I went through transition smooth and jumped on my bike for my favorite portion! I only had a few of what I call “stupids” including a quick trip over my bars. This being only my 5 ride on trails this season it is bound to happen. I had passed some people but felt like I was kind of alone on the last half so I had no idea where I was in the field. Turned out I had the 9th fasted female bike split of the day. As I slipped on my Newtons I tried to prepare for what is normally my weakness but I knew would be even more challenging today. As I ran I felt surprisingly strong for how I normally feel and only wished my ankle wasn’t killing me. I limped through the finish and headed straight for the med tent for some ice. I had a nice surprise when I saw my time card. I had finished 2nd in my age group which means I qualified for worlds! I ended up 12th Overall and 4th amateur.

Big thanks to everyone who helped.

  • Newton, the shoes felt great even with a sprained ankle, light and fast.
  • Marie, my reflexologist who helped with oils on my ankle.
  • Jared, my coach, obviously all the run training has paid off so far.
  • Dave, at Redstone Cyclery, thanks for the new bike parts it felt great!
  • My support crew, my mom and niece Alyssa who not only take care of my crazy two-year-old but help me out a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment