Monday, May 30, 2011

Ironman Texas

Well Ironman Texas is in the books. I finished, not what I wanted, but I finished. Another day that ended with "WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY RUN"!

Besides my sub-par effort, the event was top notch. The course was absolutely beautiful, the spectators and volunteers were more than friendly and helpful, and the finish line was one of a kind. I also was blessed enough to have the best support crew that one could possibly ask for. Big time thanks to my wife Katherine (The planner, itinerary guru, and queen of much needed emotional support), Alex (The Local, Host, Driver, and laugh instigator), and last but not least Anthony (Motivator, and Keeper of all Positive Mojo) WHO IS RACING 70.3 HAWAII this weekend, Good Luck!!!!!

The course was absolutely amazing, the WTC nailed it on this one. If the event could be moved forward 3 weeks or so to late April or early May I believe it would be one of the fastest and sought out IM's on WTC's schedule.

The Swim was the swim, but at least it was an interesting course. A point to point swim that ended with the last 1/2 mile down a canal lined with cheering spectators. The well designed course made for mentally appeasing swim that felt as if it flew by. The floating start was fairly hectic with all the usual happenings: kicking, slapping, and jockeying for position. It took a while for me to settle in the swim, as I must have put myself in the "I can’t swim a straight line to save my life corral". After about ten minutes; however, it was pretty smooth sailing.

The Bike, my highlight of the event, was spectacular minus some of the worst DRAFTING I HAVE EVER SEEN. It was a one looper which I love. On the way out, the course stayed fairly flat, we were blessed with a slight tail wind and the silky smooth, fast rolling roads weaved through some beautiful forested areas. As we hit the turn around, about 2:25 in, we were headed back into the wind. However, it was a mild wind and coming from CO where the wind has been non-stop, it did not bother me too much. The roads at the turn around deteriorated a bit, but I knew if I kept a smooth consistent pace I would be fine. At about mile 90 a gentleman I had been riding around came up with a puncture and had no tools. (Don’t ask me?) I decided it would be good for my Karma to stop and give him my saddle bag and all that was within minus my one extra tube. I'm sure it took a couple of minutes but I felt it was a must. The rest of the bike ride I tried to fuel up and get ready for what was sure to be a Hot, Humid, and Tough RUN.

On to the run, ughhhh! After transition I was feeling fine, not great but fine. So, as in planning I told myself to grow into the run if I was not feeling it right away. During training I did many longer brick runs after a hard bike effort at 7:30's. I knew they were in me. However, on this day the 3:30 marathon was not to be had. I started a little over 8 and the pace was not looking like it would speed up. After around mile 10 I knew my legs were not going to be able to pick up the pace, so I conceded the KONA dream and relaxed into a slower more mentally appealing pace to the finish line. The finish line was bitter sweet. I was excited for it to be over and to finish another Ironman, but was more than disappointed by the end result. This has been a hard race to emotionally put behind me, but the disappointment will fade in time.

Overall fun event and spectacular race course!

I also realized that I do not have time to dwell on Texas being that my first Ultra is right around the corner (San Juan Solstice 50). So in 3 weeks time me and my funky fresh NEWTON TRAIL SHOES will be headed out for our first 50 Mile stroll through the San Juan's.

I could not even get to the start line if it were not for my sponsors and some of the people who have aided in my efforts. Thank you for everything you do for me and most of all for our sport!!!!

NEWTON (www.newtonrunning.com)
Maxxis (www.maxis.com)
Zeal Optics (www.zealoptics.com)
Redstone Cyclery (www.redstonecyclery.com)
Verge (www.vergesport.com)
Tomac (www.tomac.com)
TriBella (tribellas.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment